HARTFORD, CT – The Connecticut Department of Public Health Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (DPH LPPP) has notified all local health directors that ceramicware pots (please attached file with photos) which are being sold at small neighborhood stores, including CTown stores throughout the state, have tested positive for lead. Test results have shown that the ceramicware were recently identified as the source of lead poisoning for two children in separate families. One of the children’s parents also tested positive for lead poisoning.
“Our DPH Lead Poisoning Prevention Program is collaborating with the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection and we are working together on an embargo/recall in partnership with the Department of Consumer Protection,” said Acting DPH Commissioner Deidre S. Gifford, MD, MPH.
Dr. Gifford added that unfortunately childhood lead poisoning is a common pediatric public health problem, yet it is entirely preventable. Once a child has been poisoned, the impairment it may cause is irreversible. Lead harms children’s nervous systems and is associated with reduced IQ, behavioral problems, and learning disabilities. While lead paint in homes built before 1978 continues to be the most common source of lead exposure, there are other sources of lead that can poison a child or adult. No amount of lead is safe for the body.
“We are working together with the Department of Public Health and local health departments to ensure these products are properly labeled,” said Department of Consumer Protection Commissioner Michelle H. Seagull. “We are also working with our partners to educate consumers about the potential hazard and prevent future cases of lead poisoning that may be caused by these ceramicware products. DPH has instructed local health departments to visit their local CTowns and small neighborhood stores that may sell these ceramicware products which are not intended to be used for food contact and cooking.
If the ceramicware products are available for sale, the products must be directly labeled as, ‘not for food use,’ ‘may poison food,’ ‘may contain lead glazes,’ ‘food use may result in lead poisoning,’ ‘food consumed from this vessel may be harmful,’ or ‘only for decorative use.’”
If you are concerned that your child may have had an exposure, please contact your pediatrician for further testing and follow-up. For more information, please visit the Connecticut DPH website (https://portal.ct.gov/DPH) and search Lead Poisoning Prevention.